Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How I love the Hudson Valley

I moved from the Hudson Valley region of NY to Washington, DC two and a half years ago with the hopes of advocating for and changing agricultural policy. It didn't take me long to learn that the road to positive change via the Hill...was not my road - probably not even a back road off the county route exiting from the Thruway of my life's path (more on my frustrations on a later date - for now I'm basking in the country sunshine pulling weeds and planting peas). But, we all take our chances and sometimes make mistakes. However, this mistake led me to meeting incredible people and making wonderful friends - friends I wouldn't trade a scoop of homemade, Guernsey cream and ripe June strawberry ice cream for. 
Speaking of ripe June strawberry ice cream...that is one thing I'm looking forward to being back in the Hudson Valley - back on the farm in Austerlitz, NY (and you will see from the website we also have a blueberry festival).  The freshness of our food is plentiful and found right down the road.  My father has Red Devons and British Whites, my brother - 1.5 miles away - has Scottish Highlanders, fainting goats (yes, for real), piggies (7 little piglets, presently), chickens, and even an egg mobile. We get rice from our neighbor's rice paddy, along with goat milk and an assortment of fresh veggies to compliment our own grown in the backyard. 
Home is lovely. Home is where the heart is and I'm so happy to be back.  I did get a job further south near New York City and will soon be moving closer than my hour and 45 minute commute, but I hope to have a garden there, as well, though I will have to come up weekly for my supply of meat and goat milk :).

2 comments:

  1. I want to go to there. Why am i sitting in an office?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me homesick! And yes, I consider upstate NY more my home than MA.

    ReplyDelete